Close to the end but my feet forced me quitting Te Araroa

Ready for high tide
The wad section 
Newest fashion for horses
At the next morning I said goodbye to Micha, still hoping that we will meet in Asia again. It was indeed a nice little adventure with him after all the years we didn’t see each other. I hit the trail again to destroy the last 250 km to Auckland. My time schedule was pretty tight and so I had to hurry up a little bit more because to miss my next flight isn’t an option this time. I followed the trail along the coastline, went barefoot through the wad and climbed Mount Lion. Up here I had an amazing 360 degree view. Until the horizon I just could see the deep blue ocean and a look downhill made me dizzy for a moment. A fall would definitely hurt.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Coastline
California quail
SUNSET
I supposed to cross the sea by boat to get to Mardsen Point. But I wasn’t sure if that worked out for me and so I tried to get a ride by car. It was an old mustang and the young pale behind the wheel was proud as hell about his car. Loud like a plane and with 300 horse power under the bonnet he took me to the next town. At on left turn it happened because this idiot pushed the accelerator a little bit to much and the whole car twisted around. He braked, speeded up, braked again and finally we stopped on the other side at the shoulder. One car had to stop to avoid worse things. Fortunately nothing happened. The next ride was more relaxt with a young mother who travelled for 7 years by herself and knew how it is to get stuck somewhere. I arrived Whangarai alive and walked along the main street to the next service station. Suddenly a car passed by and a girl looked out waving. Just seconds later I recognised them. It were Daniel and Rebecca. I hiked with them on the Southern Island for a while. New Zealand is just a village with more and less  than 4,5 million people. Eventually my day ended up at the place from Rebecca’s parents with self-made hamburgers and a nice beer. Rebecca and Daniel took me to Mardsen Point the next day where I continued. Thx a lot Rebecca, Daniel, Paul and Dian for everything. It was nice to see y’all again. 
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
No wind at all
Early morning start
Mount Lion
My feet did a great job the whole last year. They carried me for about 7200 km through water, snow, dessert, over mountains and through mud without any problems. 16 km walking barefoot along the beach was the stupidest idea in the world. Not to mention the 5-6 blisters I couldn’t barely walk anymore. Hobbling and drenched like a dog I arrived the camp at the end of the beach and hoped that the pain would be gone until the next day. But after 20 km with lots of pain in my shinbone I approved to quit the trail here and take the bus to Auckland the next day. I wasn’t sad about it because the last miles were just streets and suburbs. Fortunately I got that far.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Rebecca, Danial - its a small island
Sun rays 
Kiwis are serious about their fences

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images