Countdown to Bluff part 2

80 Kilometer

 “Carry me away, from this summer of ….”, “Not yet, I’m still fu**ing tired”. The reason was again the wind which the Big Agnes Flycreek 2 didn’t like at all. Luckily I was next to the coast and THERE IS NO WIND AT ALL. Dressed with just a slip I jumped out of my cosy sleeping bag in the middle of the night and pulled my tent over to a better spot. At least I got some sleep. I got up very early next day because I wanted to see this amazing sunrise again. It was low tide and so I could walk along the beach and not a soul crossed my way. Just the old man and the sea. Unfortunately, the sunrise wasn’t impressive as the day before (buhh), but still pretty. My breakfast took place in Riverton on the beach which I had to follow later on for about 22 km. Can you imagine that the sound of the ocean is driving you mad? I didn’t know either. Headphones and music was in that case the best thing ever. Frequently, some jeeps passed me and I wished one of them could drag me out of the soft sand. After 3 hours of walking I looked back where I started from and was disappointed because it seemed that I didn’t make any progress. At the end of the day me feet touched some lovely concrete and carried me for another 3 km to the campground. I was drained and the only thing that counted was my returning to Wellington. Everything were booked. Tomorrow I had 42 km to Bluff, the day after I’m taking the bus from Invercargill to Christchurch and another day later I’m taking the plane to Wellingtion. That will be stressful.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Sunset at the beach
What a nice day
22 km beach walking

42 Kilometer

Before the sun got up, I already walked along the road towards Invercargill. It was a foggy morning and car lights appeared from nowhere which got more and more the closer I came to town. The sun struggled with the mist and gave the landscape a yellow coloured touch. I watched a heron how it moved slowly through the shallow water in order to catch its breakfast. The traffic noise brought me back from daydreaming. Everybody hassled, nobody got time and everything has to be done as fast as possible. Picturing, that I’m sitting in a car and going to work made me uncomfortable. I repressed the memory and kept hiking on the highway. Bluff appeared in the distance and came fast closer. A last walkway along the coastline before I will finish the Southern Island. It was windy, the waves crashed into the rocks and I could feel the spray in my face. On the horizon I saw Steward Island. I could see Eule how he struggled through the knee-deep mud and chasing the kiwi. I met some people on the trail and guessed that I’m close to the end. I turned around to the sea. These are the last steps on the Southern Island for me. 4 months. Happy, sad, impatiently I walked around the last corner and saw the yellow signs. With a quick pace I passed the sign because my first goal was another 50 meters east of it. Exactly, la toilet!!!
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Sun against fog
Close to Bluff
Close to the end

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images