Countdown to Bluff part 1

186 kilometer


Usually, you will learn from your faults, but I have to disagree. If you set up a tent on an open space you have to expect some strong winds. Again and again the wind pushed the wall closer and closer to my face and I doubted that the construction will stand it. The alarm turned on about 6:45 a.m. and the tent was still alive. I packed all my belongings (what isn’t much) into my backpack, asked Andreas for a lighter and hit the trail which wind through 19 km private farmland. Sometimes I shooed sheep out of my way, allowed cattle to pass and were surprised by scattered showers. On time at lunchtime, the farmland was done and it started pouring down like hell. A bridge served as a comfortable shelter. Now, I’m really living the dream. After a short climb I got a nice view over the whole farmland before the clouds sucked me in. The wind blew from any direction and it was hard to walk. The plan was to get 38 km done. I couldn’t set up my tent because either it was too muddy or private property. So I walked another 5 km. Nothing. Another 5 km. Still nothing and finally after 52 km, tired eyes, aching joints and soaked feet I pitched my tent next to the gravel road. I didn’t care at all that I set it up on an inclined terrain.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Sunrise in the valley
Shooing sheep
Farmlands

134 kilometer


The alarm turned on at 6:45 a.m. but it was already bright outside. Daylight saving time? I wasn’t sure and crawled out of my tent and yelled “Good morning”. The tent was drenched, my socks were damp and my shoes weighted twice as much. Maybe I shouldn’t use the word shoes anymore. They don’t look like shoes at all. I started my day on a nice 3 km dirt road until I found myself back in a muddy forest again. The final took place in the Longwood Forest which was breathtaking as well. Trees were warped in moss, the floor was covered with moss and you could see different kind of things (birds, mice) if you have a wanton imagination. All the time I had to decide to walk through the mud or taking a detour. I preferred to be firmly fixed in the mud as to break my neck during a crazy climbing action. Eventually, everybody will take a dive into it. So don’t waste your energy. After the forest I walked along some open sections and I could see the beach which I have to follow on the next day. I couldn’t see Bluff but guess where it is. The sound of the ocean reached my ears which was 1000 meters below me and then I entered the enchanted forest one more time and followed the path to the isolated Martin’s Hut which is the last one on the Te Araroa.   
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Sunset on my longest day
Longwood Forest
Moss everywhere

110 kilometer


“Carry me away, from this summer of betrayal, the winter is coming on, summer’s almost gone”, my mobile phone screamed and shook me out of my sleep. I packed my rucksack, ate 2 granola bars and disappeared with headlamp into the Longwood Forst for the last 24 km. I braced myself for lots of mud and rough climbing but after 3 km I got very disappointed. Except of some parts with mud, the trail was close to a motorway. On and off I could see the red sky through the forest. I couldn’t see the entire sunrise but what I saw was so crazy. The kilometres went by so fast and right after the this section I took a rest at the car park area. That was the last tough part on the Southern Island for me. I looked at my shoes and knew they thought the same. Whistling, singing and greeting all the grumpy car drivers I walked down the road for another 6 km towards the beach. Rewinding my journey made me laugh about all the good and bad moments for the last 4 months. I took a seat at the seating next to the ocean. Motionless, I watched the ocean and saw my goal on the horizon. Bluff. I decided to grab a coffee. Julie, the manager from the Tavern asked me where I would sleep today. I shrugged and moments later she offered me to stay in the backyard from the Tavern. Of course I took the offer and the best surprise ever, after daily ramen, couscous with soup on the trail was a nice dinner and dessert made by Julie herself. She is truly a trail angel.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Enchanted forest
Beach section
Martin's Hut - last hut on the TA

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images