From an unexpected encounter in Te Anau to the Takitimu Forest (Gesundheit)

I stood starving in front of the shelves in the supermarket and thought about what I would like to breakfast. Suddenly, somebody touched me on my back and as I turned around I saw a familiar face. It was Marion from France who hiked some parts of the TA as well. She found work in the supermarket. She asked me if I need a place to stay and I just nodded wildly with my head. It is a church again which serves as an accommodation for volunteers. I brought my stuff to that place and followed my routine in town. Blogging in the library, sightseeing in town and resupplying for the last 6 days on the Southern Island. Together with Patrick, Eef, PJ, Andreas, Yannick, Vince and Marion, we met us in the Red Cliff for a nice evening. I stayed one more day and as a thanks I cleaned the walls of the church (spider webs) and carried out the seatings from the inside. It was my first job as a volunteer (woofing).
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Yannic,myself,Marion,Vince,Andreas
The church for 2 nights
A serious guitar player
Lost in daydreaming that these would be the last days on the TA (Southern Island), I stood next to the road and showed every driver my thumb. Just 10 minutes waiting and 30 minutes driving I were back on the trail and speeded up to Bluff. At the first hut I also met Vince, Andreas and Yannick again. We tramped through the forest which was similar to the forests on the Northern Island. Traps, war of mud and slippery parts in the woods and wet feet in the wide open gras fields. Again and again we tried to find the markers in the fields which were turned into a rough beautiful sea by the wind.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
The rough beautiful sea
You can't avoid it
It was a nice section
At the Lower Wairaki Hut we had lunchtime because there was a big climb shorty afterwards. Before I left the hut, I said goodbye to Patrick, Eef and PJ. It was nice to meet you and maybe we will see us in Bluff for a beer. Then we started. Vince ran in front of me and I tried to keep up with him. No Chance. He eats maybe the same muesli like Eule. Exhausted and weak I got to the final climb and right after that I had an awesome 360 degree view. For the first time we could see the ocean and the end of our journey which is still 190 km away. We waited for Andreas and Yannick, and took a group photo. Everybody cheered as if we reached the end. I enjoyed that view for a while before we descent to the campground. Unfortunately, I had to say bye to Yannick, Andreas and Vince that night because I have a very tight schedule. But it was definitely a funny group and I wish I could finish with them in Bluff. Bummer!
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Vince in jail
Thanks for the dance guys
Yeahh, almost in Bluff. Just 190km

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Moin, Good ole Maik!

    We are back in town, but our thoughts are still on the trail. We enjoyed the days - especially the final one - so much. At the moment I think we need some time to be prepared for new adventures. Hope you will enjoy the next, last sections of your TA like we do. Try to camp at the the end of Ocean beach.... so cool!

    Walk on,
    Andreas and Yannic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andreas and Yannic. It was nice to meet you guys. Let me know about Norway or some other trips. I will see you in Germany if I come back :D

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images