Sometimes, the Te Araroa is an asshole.

Somewhere over the rainbow
:D
River crossing
At Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown, the Te Araroa suddenly ends and starts again at the other side of the lake near the Greenstone Station. To get there, you have to figure out by yourself again. The water taxi is too expensive, to swim with my backpack to the other end isn’t possible and so I tried to get a ride around the lake. The 70 km ride was quite easy, although I had to switch between 4 cars. When I arrived at the station, I started my way to the Greenstone Hut. An unexpected reunion with Andreas and Yannick made my day. I also met some new hikers like Patrick, Eef and PJ. I just saw notes from them and finally I caught up to them. Because of the weather forecast with rain and thunderstorms, everybody stayed at the hut.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
I like that..
...and that...
...and that too
Around 7:30 a.m. it was still quite dark outside and nobody wanted to get out of the cosy sleeping bag. There were no thunderstorms at the night and a short glimpse outside confirmed that. Just a few clouds and you could also see the sky. The clouds hang deep and decorated the mountains like a christmas tree. Also the rain turned the valley into a sort of swamp. In the beginning I tried to avoid the water to keep my shoes dry. I jumped from island to island, but eventually I just walked through because of my huge ventilation holes in my shoes and the long detours around the puddles. It is just water. In the distance I could see some rainy spots which showed up above me. Take it off or put it on. Either way didn’t work. Would I put on my rain jacket it would stop raining immediately. It went on like this for the whole day.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Jumping from island to island
Almost dead
Some rainy spots
I was on the trail together with Yannick and Andreas (son & father) and we stayed in the Careys Hut. At the hut, we met the French/Canadian hiker Vince again. We started a fire to get rid of the cold and to dry our socks. My shoes are almost dead. This time I brought them back to life with needle, thread and superglue. That should last for the 55 km to Te Anau. But I doubt that they will made it to Bluff. I want back my Brooks Cascadia 8 again. 
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
2700 km done
In the vally
Curious Robin
I left on the early morning in order to get as close as possible to the highway to Te Anau. But I will meet them in town again on the next day. I enjoyed the walking next to the North and South Mavora Lake because the trail was flat and nice. But then, the Te Araroa foiled my plans. The notes said, I should followed the poles. But the 1 meter high grass between them made it not easier. Many time I thought about, how parts of the trail were built. I think I know how: Somebody circled with the finger over a map until someone yelled, “STOP”. Then they flew with a helicopter to that point and shot poles with an air gun straight to the ground in a certain distance. One sign in the beginning and in the end with some trail information and the trail is almost ready. Just let go the tramper trash through that area and a new trail will rise. Maybe you have some other thoughts, but these are mine.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
North Mavora Lake
South Mavora Lake with a swan
Nice reflection in the water
I got 13 km close to the highway. I started very early and it was dark. But the sunrise was amazing. I arrived at the road and pulled out my thumb. Not even half an hour later a car stopped and the older guy from Invercargill gave me a ride to Te Anau. There I got a very delicious breakfast from the supermarket. Tim Tam, pita bread, hummus, Iced coffee and orange juice. Yam
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
edible or not
Moss, moss and more moss
Sunset

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images