Goodbye my friend - Wanaka I'm coming!!!

With our self-made sign we stood next to the street for 2 hours. Eule did 10 pushups for every passing car. After 16 cars, he was sick of it and stopped. Is it maybe because of our beards? But finally our patience were rewarded and two girls from Austria stopped. The style of driving was a little bit dodgy. Eule couldn’t respond until Queenstown, because he has to drive the car from the backseats. I closed my eyes pretending to be asleep but for real I started praying. Maybe my prayers were heard because we arrived alive in Queenstown.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Austrian style of driving OMG
Tramper trash
A real leprechaun
Queenstown was pretty cool. Not to small and not to big for a city and it wasn’t too crawled with tourists. Until our little come-together on the 17th, we discovered the town, skyped, bought food for the next section and enjoyed the tasty food in town. The meeting started about 2:30 p.m. in an Irish bar. Where else on Saint Patricks Day. There was a discount on every pint. Instead of 9 dollars we just paid 7 dollar. Bargain. We also got time to time some nice little finger food which was very delicious. Thanks for doing this. We met some old friends again like Gil, Red Bear, Huw, Caroline, Kelsey, Jeremiah and the long missing Moses but we met some new people too.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Salmon farm
Sunset
Don't touch it
3,5 months went by so fast and now I have to say, “Goodbye Eule”. It was a very intense time with much laughing, swearing, motivating each other and also cutting each other down to size. Everybody knew exactly that would sometimes happen in a 24/7 relationship. We weathered the storm and enjoyed every single moment. I hope Eule will enjoy Steward Island and find and face that damn Kiwi. Please let me know if Steward Island is worth it and send me some pictures, please.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Are you sad?
Printed stone
Speergrass - like thousand needles
The girls, who gave us a ride to Queenstown gave me also a ride back to Twizel. Suicidal? Yes, but that was the fastest option to get back on the trail again. I said adieu to the girls and then I stood there alone in the inner city. Without a single word I turned around and start out for Wanaka. It was quite strange the first few days walking just by myself. I felt more and more the urge to talk to somebody. But nobody was on trail except in the huts thankfully.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Cairns showed me the way
The view during the steep uphill
Southern Lights - Whop whop
The right day, the right time and the right place my eyes were witness of something beautiful. I laid in the tent and couldn’t sleep at all. No clouds on the sky and I thought about to do a time lapse from the stars. I tossed and turned around but I overcame my sloth. I set my camera for 2 hours. Back in my cosy sleeping bag, I tried a second time to have some sleep. Click, click, click, click did the camera and still another 500 times more. Everyone can imagine what that means. No sleep until 12:30 a.m. as it stopped to make the click sounds. Either it got stolen or the time-lapse was ready. I grabbed my technique from the outside and also wanted to see the result. What is that? I watched the video on more time. Something shimmered colorful on the horizon. It couldn’t be a city. I got a thought and pulled out my compass. South. It might be the Southern Lights. One day later I has met a hiker who met 2 hikers who wanted to climb a mountain to see the Southern Lights. The possibility was very high on that day. I showed him my video and he said, “Yes, that are the Southern Lights” 
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Pita, garlic butter, Vegemite, Tomatoes
Breast Hill
Petrified duck - can you see it
I reached the junction where I had to turn left in order to get to the Stodys Hut. 2 hours for 2 km wasn’t a good sign. I was right and faced a steep uphill. Again and again I took a little break and enjoyed the view. The river which I crossed a while ago, became smaller and smaller but an end of the ascent was not in sight. I always thought : “Around the next corner there has to be the hut”. But that was mostly not the case. With legs as heavy as cement blocks I arrived with a big smile at the hut. As a reward I ate pita bread with garlic butter, Vegemite and dried tomatoes. That was necessary because the uphill wasn’t done. The wind picked up the closer I came to the ridge line at 1400 meter. On the ridge there was no protection agains the wind. All loose straps from my backpack hit me in my face and also my trekking poles tried to put a spoke in my wheel. Clouds hang deep but you could see some sunny spots in the distance. At the Breast Hill I was speechless with amazement. From here I got a spectacular view over Lake Hawea, which was 900 meter further down, where I had to go the next day.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Lake Hawea

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images