Nelson Lakes National Park - Blue Lake - Lake Constance - Waiau Pass und ein Tag mit Haengen und Wuergen

The home from the guardians of the valley

The dinner was so damn good in the Alpine Lodge. From noodle salad, to fried vegetables, delicious bread with butter, feta cheese, more salads and very good meat (not suitable for vegetarians), there was something for everyone. In order to protect us from the socialized people, or maybe the opposite, we got our own Te Araroa table in a separate room. As the barrel would have no bottom (German phrase), we ate as much as we could, what caused for some of us terrible stomachaches. In the morning, it was just a little reminder, because we got also a delicious breakfast before we headed out into the Nelson Lakes National Park.  
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Our own TA table
Lake Rotoiti
Right before my belly felt better ;)
Along the Lake Rototii, which was surrounded by mountains, we hiked on a very easy flat trail to the John Tait Hut. Our old stamping group, which includes Florian, Jeremiah, Kelsey, Eule and myself, made us comfortable for the night there, in order to enjoy every single piece on the next day. Well, Pustekuchen (which means, it didn’t work out). Right after the Upper Travers Hut, during an uphill my stomach and body felt weird. It took me thousands of breaks to reach the summit, just to descend right after it. This up and down didn’t like my belly and so I left my breakfast next to the trail. And look. I felt much better than before. I got no 100 percent of energy, but at least I could drag my body to the West Sabine Hut where I could take a big rest. Again, Pustekuchen. The hut was filled with day hikers up to the ceiling and so I had to set up my tent next to the hut. The day ended for me at 6 p.m.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
On my way the the Blue Lake
Blue Lake with its amazing colors
Blue lake from further up
It was amazing, what 14 hours of sleep can do for your body. Still a little bit weak on my feet, better than yesterday though, I continued the trail to the Blue Lake. Apparently, during a study in 2010 and 2011, this lake is known as the clearest freshwater in the world. I never saw something with these colors, from blue to yellow, in my whole life. Amazing. A short break in the hut to ate something and prepare myself for the next part, I saw a note on the wall: “The Waiau Pass. This part should only be attempted by experienced mountaineers. Sure-footedness, good equipment and preparation is very very important for the pass”. It is just a short version, because the longer one sounds more serious. I’m also wondering a long time, when is somebody an experienced mountaineer. After one, two or three mountains? Maybe you can answer that question, because I would never dare to call myself an experienced climber. But after all, the Waiau Pass wasn’t that hard. You just have to take your time for the uphill and downhill. On the summit, I could really enjoy the view over Lake Constance and the deep valley, where the Te Ararao leads me further south.  
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Waiau Pass
Lake Constance from the Waiau Pass
No up and downhill - just flat
I just heard rumors about Eule from some random hikers: “He walked 40 km, with the part over the Waiau Pass.”, He is waiting in Hamner Springs for you.” or “If he is walking like this, he will be in Bluff the day after tomorrow.” For such long days, my body wasn’t fit enough. So it took me longer than expected. After the Waiau Pass was done, I just had to fight against something. Sandflies overall. A north bounding hiker named them “Guardians of the valley” - Agreed! The trail leads me over meadows and along a dirt road between New Zealands mountains. About the thought to climb one of them, my backpack weighted twice as much than before. Tired and exhausted, I stood in front of the Anne Hut, where I met my friend Florian again. But he was already in bed and also ill. He, and some others got the same issues like me one day ago. Unfortunately, we didn’t figure it out what was wrong. It only could be the water, which we didn’t filter so often in the mountains, because there were no cows and sheep at all. 
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Some mountains with some snow
I loved this area
Our way through a grassy field

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. hallo Maik,endlose schöne Bilder.Wir sind begeistert.Das Wasser ist auf alle Fälle verantwortlich für euer Magenproblem....immer schön abkochen. Die Landschaften sind ein Traum und die Tierwelt auch. Bei uns wird langsam Frühling heute waren 8 Grad aber sicher ist nichts,der Winter kann nochmal durch drücken. Alle sind gesund. Am 20 März hat Thomas praktische Prüfung.:) wir drücken dich ganz feste. Bleibt gesund und voller Tatendrang. Liebe grüsse an Eule / Torte ist ja wieder zuhause.... also bis bald deine Mum

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images