150000 meter close to the end. Are we there yet???

From Waitomo, we hiked to Te Kuiti. It was the trail to hell. Overall thorny bushes and step terrain. We protected our faces with our hands and walked straight through it. Of course with short pants which I wouldn’t recommend. Eule hiked in sandals. His feedback: He wouldn’t do it again with sandals. At this day, Torte looked like an sailor who had enough from the rough sea. He was a little bit pale and it didn’t get better until Te Kuiti. We decide to stay there.
Jazz and Coby have been in Te Kuiti as well. They offered us to take with them a ride to skip the road for the next 55 km. Torte and Eule agreed and I kept hiking by myself. 55 km of road wasn’t that bad. Many hills, farms and friendly car driver. I got 2 chances to get a ride but I said no. I did many kilometers just because of the weather. At every single break, every damn single break it started to rain. Arrr. I put on my poncho and kept going until it got dark. Next day, I was close to my goal and suddenly a car drove by with Torte, Eule, Jazz and Cody. They yelled from the car: “Hurry hurry, we are eating early”. We stayed another day here to seal finally the tent.
Let’s go into the Pureora Forest and along the Timber Trail. Many people use the trail for a bike ride which is 85 km long and has some of the largest suspension bridges for bicycles and hikers. The TA is the same like the Timber Trail and leads after a while into the step and muddy jungle. Eule and Torte didn’t like the idea of the roller coaster and decided to hike the Timber Trail instead. It’s of course a beautiful alternate for a hiker who has enough from the green tunnel. Together, we spend a night in the Bog Inn Hut before we went our own ways. I can’t recommend the Hut. It smelled terrible and so we pitched our tents again.
A last hug in the morning and I disappeared in the green. We will meet each other in 2 or 3 days in Taumarunui again. Hut hopping is my plan. The trail wasn’t that bad as I thought. But there were 3 situations which were very hard to achieve. I got 2 times lost in the jungle. Without a GPS and my maps I would still circle in the bush. At the first time, I tried to find the trail for 20 minutes. But where are my trekking poles? Oh no!!! I didn’t know where am I, nor I knew where my poles were. I went back for 10 minutes and fortunately I found them again. I was still lost. So I grabbed my compass and hiked just in one direct where I should join the trail again. To go straight through this forest wasn’t easy. Everything tried to keep me here. I fought my way through and found the trail again. OMG!!! 40 Minutes for 200 meters. I kept going until I had to climb down a vertical cliff, crossed a river and climbed vertical up another cliff. A short break at the Waihaha Hut and a last run to the Hauhungaroa Hut. Yes, I got lost again but I found the trail within 10 minutes though. The hut was abandoned what I appreciated. 
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden
Taumarunui is the next stop over Christmas. The first view when I came out of the forest were amazing. No trees anymore. I got a hitch to the campground in Taumarunui where I couldn’t find my friends. But there were a lot of TA hikers. Jazz and Cody, Peter, Rob and his friend (sorry, I forgot your name), Bob and Margret, Gil and another couple (damn it…forgot their names as well). Very cool people. I spend Christmas without Torte and Eule but at least with some friends from the TA. Both showed up the next day and we talked a lot about the Timber Trail. In the night we hang out with the TA hikers and watched a Christmas story on the laptop. After that, we played: Germany against the rest of the world. It wasn’t what you are thinking. It was a card game and you got questions. We got 1 score and the rest of the world got one as well.
Deutsch Ein-/Ausblenden

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images